If you’re looking for a quick and easy meatloaf you can throw together in an hour with very few ingredients, here you go! And some Sambal Chili Paste gives it a real kick!
Sometimes you need something fast that will satisfy the crew, and this quick and easy meatloaf does the trick. It’s ready in about an hour, doesn’t create a huge mess in the kitchen, and while the meatloaf is baking, you’ve got time to fix a quick side dish (maybe this Baked Asparagus Recipe?)
Quick and Easy Meatloaf Tips:
- The most common mistake people make when making meatloaf is overmixing the patè. Sometimes this happens when you just throw all the ingredients together in a big bowl and you have to overmix it to make sure the eggs are incorporated. You must mix the eggs and milk and crumbs together first, then add the meat and seasonings. Then just mix it enough to blend things together.
- Another mistake is using a loaf pan. I know, I know, that’s the way mom did it. But what happens is the ground beef releases all of its fat while cooking, and the whole loaf sits in that for another hour before you serve it. There’s no need for that. Just form it into a simple loaf on a lined baking sheet! Even the cleanup is easier.
- Ketchup versus the chili paste. Yes, you can use plain ketchup, but the Sambal chili paste really kicks the flavor up ten notches. You can find Sambal in just about any store these days, so take a look. It’s inexpensive and goes a long way.
Quick and Easy Meatloaf
- 1/2 Yellow Onion diced
- 1 tsp Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 3/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Sambal Asian Chili Paste or ketchup
- 1 tsp Oregano or Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp Parsley
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Sambal Asian Chili Paste
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking pan with foil. Do not use a loaf pan.
- Saute onions in butter until soft and set aside to cool.
- Combine eggs, milk and crumbs in a medium bowl and mix well until the eggs are fully incorporated and the crumbs are well-moistened.
- Add the ground beef, onions, Sambal chili sauce, oregano, and parsley. I also add 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, but you may adjust this to your own preference.
- With clean hands, mix the ingredients just until combined and onions are well-distributed. Too much mixing will give you a dense loaf!
- Place the mixture on the lined baking pan and form into a free-form loaf – about 9" by 6". Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the ketchup, Sambal chili sauce and brown sugar until well-combined. At 45 minutes, remove the loaf from the oven and coat generously with the ketchup mixture. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
I use a jelly-roll style baking pan to bake my meatloaf. It’s my go-to baking pan because it’s lightweight, cleans up easily, and stores perfectly in my cupboard. I line it with a silicone baking sheet and that makes cleanup a snap. Check these pans out:
And don’t forget the silicone baking sheets. These are a real time-saver, and actually extend the life of your baking sheets as well!