Simple Moist Golden Cake Recipe from Scratch (High Altitude Version)
This is the high-altitude version of my Simple Moist Golden Cake Recipe. For the regular altitude version (below 3000 ft.) click here.
Simple Moist Golden Cake (High-Altitude Version).
- 1 3/4 cups PLUS 2 tbsp Cake Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/3 cups LESS 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter cut into smaller pieces
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 lg Whole Eggs
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 370F
- Grease and flour a 9″x2″ round cake pan. Line the base of the pan with parchment, if necessary. (Click here for a quick way to make the perfect size parchment round)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder together until thoroughly blended.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the cream, water and vanilla and beat until blended (this should take a while - give it 3 minutes or so). Add the oil and beat to blend.
- Add the flour in 1/3 portions, beating just until it’s all incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and blend gently until incorporated, then beat for 2 minutes on medium.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 370F until a toothpick comes out clean, but with a few moist crumbs (not batter) – about 30 minutes. The inner temp should be 209F on a thermometer.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for about 10 minutes, then strike with a palm all around the edge and invert on the rack. Cool completely.