Simple Moist Golden Cake Recipe from Scratch
Revised Recipe. Easier and even more moist!
This cake perfectly displays the difference between a typical boxed mix cake and a “from-scratch” cake. Yes, you might be able to throw a box mix into the oven a tiny bit faster, but when you pull it out, you have a rather gooey, sickly sweet confection, full of artificial flavors and colors that sticks to the roof of your mouth when you bite into it. Blech.
This simple, basic scratch cake is made from a recipe that is hundreds of years old, and is formulated especially for those in the majority of the country who live below 3,000 feet. It uses an addition of whipped cream to add a lightness that is needed at lower elevations. (At higher elevations, that’s kinda the LAST thing we need, since our leavening bubbles for so much faster and easier up here!)
So, if you’re looking for a simple cake recipe that will work beautifully for any occasion, this cake is the perfect balance of sweetness, velvety texture and superb moistness. It makes one 9″x2″ layer and you can slice it into multiple layers with a cake leveler.
Simple Moist Golden Cake (for under 3,000 ft. altitude).
- 1 3/4 cups Cake Flour
- 1 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/3 cups Sugar
- 1/3 cup Warm Water
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter cut into smaller pieces
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 lg Whole Eggs
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease and flour a 9″x2″ round cake pan. Line the base of the pan with parchment, if necessary. (Click here for a quick way to make the perfect size parchment round)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder together until thoroughly blended.
- Place a medium bowl, hand mixer beaters and heavy cream into the refrigerator to chill for the final step.
- Add the sugar and warm water to the mixing bowl. Beat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the butter, vanilla and salt and beat until blended (this should take a while – give it 3 minutes or so). Add the oil and beat to blend.
- Add the flour in 1/3 portions, beating just until it’s all incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and blend gently until incorporated.
- Remove the chilled bowl, beaters and cream from the freezer. Beat the cream with a hand mixer until soft peaks form, then just a minute beyond that. Gently fold 1/2 of the whipped cream into the batter, followed by the second half.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350F until a toothpick comes out clean, but with a few moist crumbs (not batter) – about 40 minutes. The inner temp should be 209F on a thermometer.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for about 10 minutes, then strike with a palm all around the edge and invert on the rack. Cool completely.
For the very best vanilla, try Savory Spice’s natural vanilla extract:
It is our intention to always offer high-quality, pure vanilla extracts. However, rapid… [More]